The British 19th Century Surname Atlas is a fully interactive CD-Rom product that allows you to plot floodfill-style distribution maps for all of the surnames and forenames found in the 1881 census of England; Scotland and Wales. Using the program is simplicity itself: just insert the CD in your drive and wait for it to load. Then enter a surname in the data entry box and hit enter. A map for that surname appears almost instantly.These are some of its features:
* Plot any of the 400;000+ surnames & variants that appear in the 1881 census. In many cases the maps will indicate the probable geographical origin of a surname.
* Similarly plot any of the 160;000+ forenames; and view their popularity through time.
* Aggregate data by county or poor law union.
* Plot data as actual numbers; or a density (per 100;000 of the population).
* Include any collection of name variants on each map.
* Investigate surname elements using wildcards (e.g. *thorpe)
* Show one or four surname maps at any one time.
* Zoom and pan the maps to frame exactly the area you want to see.
* Configure colours schemes; boundaries & numeric ranges.
* Print maps; or export to the Windows clipboard