Early Germanic Records

For queries not relating directly to the area of the West Derby Hundred.

Moderators: VicMar1, MaryA

gray

Early Germanic Records

Post by gray »

Has anyone any experience of researching early Germanic records? I would like to know the correct spelling of the name if possible, by the time it got to c1803 it was Vinton.

My x8 maternal g.father was a John Vinton (Vinten-Vinting-Vintin) born c1655 Solingen, North Rhine-Westphalia, Germany.
He was a sword maker.

https://www.exodus2013.co.uk/the-shotel ... ordmakers/

( I have connections to the Oley family mentioned in the above)

I was told by my g.mother that the swordmakers wore very tall hats in which they carried the sword blades to keep them safe? If true, must have been a sight.

He died:
County Durham

Place Ebchester

Church name St Ebba

Burial date 5 Jun 1710

Burial person John
VINTIN

Burial person abode :The Forge, Ryton parish
** A descendant of John Vinton (one of the Shotley Bridge sword- makers), who died at the Steel Forge, Ryton parish, 3rd June, 1710. (From Parish Registers)

Gray

MaryA
Site Admin

Re: Early Germanic Records

Post by MaryA »

What interesting details, however I'm sorry that I don't have any experience to pass on. I did wonder whether, despite the site and article being a number of years ago, whether the webmaster himself might know anything useful, or be able to point you in the right direction.
MaryA
Our Facebook Page
Names - Lunt, Hall, Kent, Ayre, Forshaw, Parle, Lawrenson, Longford, Ennis, Bayley, Russell, Longworth, Baile
Any census info in this post is Crown Copyright, from National Archives

gray

Post by gray »

Thanks Mary Ann for your interest.

I think I will try the web site as you suggest.

This has been a particularly interesting line to research, most of the information that is available refers to the 'Oley' and Mohl families, the only small ref I have been able to find on the Vinting family is here
http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthrea ... ht=vinting

copied from the above:

**One thing is finally revealed however: an enigma that has plagued all the researchers into the SB industry, and that is the identity of Bertram: From the 1690s onwards, one of Hayford’s furnaces was operated by William Bertram, also a German, from Remscheid. Now that just leaves Vinting to discover, but I am fairly certain his ancestors came over to develop lead mining at Ryton; we'll see.**

I have found William Oley's will, my x6 g.aunt Barbara Walker married his son Nicholas Oley

Will keep chipping away..

Gray

MaryA
Site Admin

Post by MaryA »

Good luck and I'll be interested to see what you may find. If there is anything useful online, don't forget to post the link on our Websites Board because one day this question may be asked again and it would be wonderful if we had an answer.
MaryA
Our Facebook Page
Names - Lunt, Hall, Kent, Ayre, Forshaw, Parle, Lawrenson, Longford, Ennis, Bayley, Russell, Longworth, Baile
Any census info in this post is Crown Copyright, from National Archives

gray

Post by gray »

I certainly will Mary Ann.

It's some time since I have researched this line, mainly because I was stumped.

However spent a few hours last night and found that the Vintings were actually Swedish :shock: not German after all. All the Parish records that I have, without exception refer to the 'German' Swordmakers
Curiouser&Curiouser..

http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthrea ... ht=vinting
Speaking of steel, something I discovered yesterday was that there were two Bertrams: William and John; I can't find my notes telling me which one was shipwrecked off the mouth of the Tyne. They were both from Remscheid, which was a Lutheran suburb of Solingen back then. So, a Bertram was obviously sent-for to run the forges and provide steel in 1690, which - at least - was the date of the shipwreck. The other Bertram (and I'm thinking the father, as the shipwrecked Bertram was only 20) may have come earlier to help Vinting, then sent for his son.

**Vinting** was Swedish by the way, and descended from the 'Ingenious Artisans' that Queen Elizabeth tasked with finding, mining and working metals around the country. The Vintings started work back in the 1500s organising the mining of lead at nearby Ryton.

Thomas Carnforth, the Newcastle cutler, commandeered the current **Vinting** to help set up the works at SB back in 1685; Vinting almost certainly supplied the recommendation to Dell regarding the suitability of the Derwent valley.

Something else to get to the bottom of in the New Year :D

Gray