Contacting member

For queries not relating directly to the area of the West Derby Hundred.

Moderators: MaryA, VicMar1

JohnnyO

Contacting member

Post by JohnnyO » 03 Sep 2019 09:47

Hi, not sure if the correct forum so apologies if so.

I have been reading the latest journal, and there is an article starting on page 195 regarding Ellen Pye, and the author has asked if anyone has any further information.

Said lady married into the Orritt family, and I would like to get in touch with the author, a new member called Kirsten B F Moon, as Ellen Pye is in my family tree. I cannot see her in the username list and not sure how to get in touch.
Names - Orrett, Orritt, Ross, McCabe, Keeley, Bullen, White, Leatham, McKeon, Bilsbarrow, Yates, Sennett, Sinnett, Traynor, Ashton

Bertieone

Re: Contacting member

Post by Bertieone » 03 Sep 2019 10:52

John,

Fire off an email to the membership secretary or the editor, either or both may have a contact address.
Bert

JohnnyO

Post by JohnnyO » 03 Sep 2019 11:13

Thanks Bert
Names - Orrett, Orritt, Ross, McCabe, Keeley, Bullen, White, Leatham, McKeon, Bilsbarrow, Yates, Sennett, Sinnett, Traynor, Ashton

MaryA
Site Admin

Post by MaryA » 04 Sep 2019 08:38

Hi, Kirsten Moon is not a member of the Society so unfortunately the Membership Secretary will have no details of her. She is, however, a contact of mine and it was through me that she sent in the article.

If you would care to send me your message I will forward it to her, together with your email address and ask her to reply directly to you.

PS are you connected through the Richardsons by any chance?
MaryA
Our Facebook Page
Names - Lunt, Hall, Kent, Ayre, Forshaw, Parle, Lawrenson, Longford, Ennis, Bayley, Russell, Longworth, Baile
Any census info in this post is Crown Copyright, from National Archives

Tex T

Post by Tex T » 07 Sep 2019 19:41

Mary, as you are in contact with Kirsten Moon, perhaps you could pass on a suggestion I have regarding Moorfield House Farm and Castle House Farm, and whether they were the same place or two separate places (see page 200 of the latest journal).

There is a photograph of a farmhouse located in Moorfield Road Widnes (called Moorfield House on old maps, I am assuming this is what Kirsten is referring to as Moorfield House Farm) in the book The Archive Photographs Series, Widnes, compiled by Anne Hall and the Widnes Historical Society ISBN 0-7524-0117-3. What is interesting about this farmhouse is that it has attached to it a tower, the top of which has a crenellated wall, giving the building a somewhat castle like appearance. Could it be that, because of this, Moorfield House Farm was also referred to as Castle House Farm? (On the same page of the book, page 125, there is also a picture of the owner at that time, Mark Johnson, standing at the top of the tower.)
Tex T

Interests - Timperley, Johnson, Mullarkey, Dowd, Plumpton, Botham, Keegan, Kelly, Howard, Sparks, Stamford, Hughes

MaryA
Site Admin

Post by MaryA » 08 Sep 2019 07:20

Thank you for the additional information Tex, I'll be interested in that also myself.

Not sure how long it will be before Kirsten replies, last time I emailed her it was a while before she got back to me, maybe doesn't check mail every day, or maybe more likely has a busy work schedule.
MaryA
Our Facebook Page
Names - Lunt, Hall, Kent, Ayre, Forshaw, Parle, Lawrenson, Longford, Ennis, Bayley, Russell, Longworth, Baile

MaryA
Site Admin

Post by MaryA » 08 Sep 2019 14:51

I'm pleased to say that Kirsten and John have made contact and hope they will be able to develop their trees further.

Another message from Kirsten -
In relation to Tex T’s email perhaps you could pass this on.

The information about Moorfield House Farm and Castle House Farm is very interesting. Thank you also for the clear directions as to where to look for the pictures. As with many family stories it is hard to sort fact from fiction and there is probably nobody left who could confirm it one way or the other but it is fascinating to investigate. Thank you again for getting in touch.

Kind regards

Kirsten
MaryA
Our Facebook Page

JohnnyO

Post by JohnnyO » 08 Sep 2019 17:14

Hi Mary, thanks for the assistance. Kirsty has been in touch and sent me a lovely long email which I am just about to respond to. Spent hours today at Walton Hall cemetery while wife and daughter fed the animals at the farm, and then on to St Mary's Walton as they had an open day. Thelma was brilliant and got some of the registers they had borrowed from Liverpool library out and found a couple of my ancestors. Had a good look around the graveyard, but most are unfortunately covered in Moss and unreadable. Don't suppose anyone has a plan of the plots? Thelma had a book that gave the grave numbers in Section A, but no idea where that was in relation to the layout.

MaryA
Site Admin

Post by MaryA » 08 Sep 2019 22:55

I''m so pleased you have made a contact and also enjoying Heritage Week.

I know it's very difficult to locate a particular plot in that graveyard, before Trevor retired last year he took a couple of us through the jungle at the back to a CWGC grave and that was bad enough.
MaryA
Our Facebook Page

JohnnyO

Post by JohnnyO » 09 Sep 2019 08:48

Hi Mary, Thelma did have a green hardback book entitled 'St Mary's Monument Inscriptions' and a reference 283/SMW/6/5. The library sent it to St Mary's as part of the batch of books that were borrowed for the weekend. It had lists of grave numbers and a few maps. Only section A had a typed alphabetical list, the rest were random. Even with the map, I could not identify what plot it was supposed to be, whether in the main churchyard or the closed area. It was intimated that access would be granted to this area over the weekend, but the chap assisting Thelma said because the council had stopped maintaining that part, it was deemed unsafe to open.

I presume if that green book came from the library then I may be able to request it from the secure area to view?

MaryA
Site Admin

Post by MaryA » 11 Sep 2019 09:18

Yes it will be but give them 24 hours notice, best place a booking via their website https://liverpool.gov.uk/libraries/arch ... y-history/
MaryA
Our Facebook Page

MaryA
Site Admin

Post by MaryA » 12 Sep 2019 19:41

John, I noticed an Orrett as a witness in a marriage on a recent post, do you have any connections or can give any insights?
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=16396&p=130029#p130029
MaryA
Our Facebook Page

JohnnyO

Post by JohnnyO » 13 Sep 2019 09:09

MaryA wrote:
12 Sep 2019 19:41
John, I noticed an Orrett as a witness in a marriage on a recent post, do you have any connections or can give any insights?
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=16396&p=130029#p130029
Hi Mary, investigating it, thanks for the post :)