Getting a living persons record closed. 1939 register

Post your trouble-shooting tips here to help everyone.

Moderators: MaryA, VicMar1

Kryzta

Getting a living persons record closed. 1939 register

Post by Kryzta » 17 May 2018 12:07

For anyone who is in the FB group will know I've had trouble getting my mum's record closed on the 1939 register. So I'm posting this incase anyone else has problems.

Contact the site and ask them to close it. FMP have a live chat you can use, Ancestry and Myheritage via email/FB.
You may have to point out to them that anyone under 100 years, their record should be closed, unless there is proof of death. Both these sites messed me about, untill I said about seeing my MP. So use that if you need to.

I did get this from Ancestry
"Unfortunately you would have to contact the National Archives and request that they remove this information. They can then assist in having this information removed. I am sorry for any inconvenience caused by this."

Here's the link to the NA
https://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/contact-us/
Use the live chat, but make sure they understand you want an open record closed.
They gave me the info for looking at a closed record of someone who is living, at first.
Brough, Kewin, Higginson, Lyon, Jones, Haseldine, Meakin, Robb

MaryA
Site Admin

Re: Getting a living persons record closed. 1939 register

Post by MaryA » 17 May 2018 14:39

Thanks for posting about your experiences here and very sorry you have had such a hard time dealing with these sites. Glad you now have got everything sorted out as it could have been quite upsetting for your mother.
MaryA
Our Facebook Page
Names - Lunt, Hall, Kent, Ayre, Forshaw, Parle, Lawrenson, Longford, Ennis, Bayley, Russell, Longworth, Baile
Any census info in this post is Crown Copyright, from National Archives

Kryzta

Post by Kryzta » 17 May 2018 14:55

Glad to, especally if it helps someone else so they don't have the same hassel I did.
Not sure my mum fully understands it all.
She can use google (the bar that shows on the screen of a tablet) and can just about reply to emails, but that is her limts.
Brough, Kewin, Higginson, Lyon, Jones, Haseldine, Meakin, Robb

Fledge

Post by Fledge » 21 Jun 2018 15:44

That's interesting. My mum's record was closed and then a relative alerted me to the fact that it had been opened in error last year.

I had several exchanges of emails with FMP requesting that they close the record, but I received a poor response each time. After a long wait, the entry was blacked out on the image. However, it still comes up in Search, and her details including birth date are fully visible in the transcription. They are hopeless.

It is fully closed on Ancestry, and always has been.

My mum would be upset if she knew, as she comes from a generation where a lady's age was regarded as a very private thing, something the younger generation doesn't understand at all. She hates anyone knowing her age - I only found out myself when she turned sixty.

All of her fellow local historians in the town know how old she is, now. :roll:

MaryA
Site Admin

Post by MaryA » 22 Jun 2018 12:56

Fledge wrote:
21 Jun 2018 15:44
All of her fellow local historians in the town know how old she is, now. :roll:
I understand absolutely, my mum was 21 until she turned 65 :roll: :lol: but as they get older they become more proud of their age.

Lovely that your mum also enjoys her local history, give her our best xx
MaryA
Our Facebook Page
Names - Lunt, Hall, Kent, Ayre, Forshaw, Parle, Lawrenson, Longford, Ennis, Bayley, Russell, Longworth, Baile

Fledge

Post by Fledge » 24 Jul 2018 16:02

Thank you, Mary. :)

Actually, I emailed FMP again a couple of weeks ago and had a very courteous and helpful reply from a different member of the team. The matter was rectified within a couple of hours, and I also received an apology.

MaryA
Site Admin

Post by MaryA » 24 Jul 2018 18:50

Fledge wrote:
24 Jul 2018 16:02
and I also received an apology.
I should think so too, it could be quite upsetting for somebody older who believed their details were private.
MaryA
Our Facebook Page