VITAL SECURITY ALERT - My Heritage

Read a good book about family history or history recently? or what do you think of your Genealogy Software. Why not tell us about how good, bad or indifferent you think it was.

Moderator: MaryA

VicMar1
Site Admin

Post by VicMar1 » 11 May 2015 11:36

After having had yet another unsolicited e-mail from them AND after UNsubscribing for the umpteenth time I thought I should warn those who will listen, of MYHERITAGE[dot]COM !

Whilst from my own experience I just now consider them to be an intrusive nuisance, I recently did some background digging and rather than repeat the complaints here,I would just encourage everyone who might be otherwise tempted by the allure of "Gratis" software to visit this friendly blog first.
https://hayesgreene.wordpress.com/2010/04/06/423/
Read ALL of the comments to see what the organisation is accused of, and by very real people.
and bear in mind that this blog is a few years old now (but nothing appears to have changed for the better)

For me to stay 'on topic' the rest of this post needs to be looked at in our "Websites" section !
Interested in Ellison, Roberts, Riley, Raffells, Newman, Klosser, Butler, Carroll, Hough,Ruffe & McCallister.
Any census or bmd information within these posts is Crown Copyright belonging to National Archives

VicMar1
Site Admin

UPDATE My Heritage - "A Scam"? UPDATE

Post by VicMar1 » 11 Nov 2019 22:23

I would highly recommend to anyone at all who has ever subscribed to this site (MyHeritage) to take a trip over to this secure site = https://haveibeenpwned.com/ and type in your e-mail address(es) to check, I did and was most surprised to learn that they (MyHeritage) have had a few data "breaches" during the last 6 years and I do not recollect being notified about it? I was wondering where all the junk was coming from and now I know.
Interested in Ellison, Roberts, Riley, Raffells, Newman, Klosser, Butler, Carroll, Hough,Ruffe & McCallister.
Any census or bmd information within these posts is Crown Copyright belonging to National Archives

JohnnyO

Re: My Heritage - "A Scam"?

Post by JohnnyO » 12 Nov 2019 10:27

I have checked my emails before on this site but just re ran it and MyHeritage was on the list. Again, first I have heard of it. Time to change email and password. I don't update it anymore as I would need to pay a subscription, and having FMP and Ancestry already, cannot justify the cost to my wife! :)
Names - Orrett, Orritt, Ross, McCabe, Keeley, Bullen, White, Leatham, McKeon, Bilsbarrow, Yates, Sennett, Sinnett, Traynor, Ashton

MaryA
Site Admin

Re: My Heritage - "A Scam"?

Post by MaryA » 12 Nov 2019 10:39

Me too even though I don't have a paid account, I have paid for DNA tests on this site, grrrrrrrrrrr :twisted: :evil:
MaryA
Our Facebook Page
Names - Lunt, Hall, Kent, Ayre, Forshaw, Parle, Lawrenson, Longford, Ennis, Bayley, Russell, Longworth, Baile
Any census info in this post is Crown Copyright, from National Archives

VicMar1
Site Admin

Post by VicMar1 » 12 Nov 2019 16:42

I think a lot more people will have been compromised by it and haven't yet seen this post to find out.
I was absolutely furious when I was alerted and feel well justified in my old original assessment of the site, if you have ever had any ransomware threats THIS is probably where they probably originated.
Perhaps retitling this post may catch a few more eyeballs.
If you are reading this for the first time go to my previous warning!

JohnnyO

Re: VITAL SECURITY ALERT - My Heritage

Post by JohnnyO » 18 Nov 2019 10:03

VicMar1 wrote:
12 Nov 2019 16:42
I think a lot more people will have been compromised by it and haven't yet seen this post to find out.
I was absolutely furious when I was alerted and feel well justified in my old original assessment of the site, if you have ever had any ransomware threats THIS is probably where they probably originated.
Perhaps retitling this post may catch a few more eyeballs.
If you are reading this for the first time go to my previous warning!
I notice that they have now started using 2 factor authentication. Probably a little too late!
Names - Orrett, Orritt, Ross, McCabe, Keeley, Bullen, White, Leatham, McKeon, Bilsbarrow, Yates, Sennett, Sinnett, Traynor, Ashton

VicMar1
Site Admin

Re: VITAL SECURITY ALERT - My Heritage

Post by VicMar1 » 24 Nov 2019 15:48

Far too late for my liking. The first breach was 2014 !
That's a long time enough to warn people that it had happened (and again since?).
No such notice because that would deter most sensible people from putting any such personal information into their 'SAFE'keeping (or complete lack of it)?
I have marginally more trust in the likes of Google and that's diminutive.

You takes yer choice !