IRISH HISTORY - FAMINE

Read a good book about family history or history recently? or what do you think of your Genealogy Software. Why not tell us about how good, bad or indifferent you think it was.

Moderator: MaryA

VicMar1
Site Admin

IRISH HISTORY - FAMINE

Post by VicMar1 » 03 Aug 2019 14:56

The Irish Famine" , Author - Peter Gray, ISBN 978-0-500-30057-2, Pub. by Thames & Hudson.
A little gem of a book I picked up in a charity shop,being the size of a small paperback with almost 200 pages full of facts and answers to many questions I had about the conditions in which my Irish ancestors came here to the UK, and why they moved around till they found a life for themselves.
I am sure that any American with Irish heritage who wants to really understand their history and accept that it didn't just start at Ellis Island should get this book.
Packed with excellent, historical illustrations of the times and well worth obtaining for reference, especially if you can get it for coppers at a boot sale or something.
Interested in Ellison, Roberts, Riley, Raffells, Newman, Klosser, Butler, Carroll, Hough,Ruffe & McCallister.
Any census or bmd information within these posts is Crown Copyright belonging to National Archives

MaryA
Site Admin

Re: IRISH HISTORY - FAMINE

Post by MaryA » 04 Aug 2019 08:17

I think you must have got a bargain, he seems to have written another book "Famine, Land and Politics: British Government and Irish Society, 1843-50 (Paperback)" which is going online for over £35. Always worth browsing charity shops.
MaryA
Our Facebook Page
Names - Lunt, Hall, Kent, Ayre, Forshaw, Parle, Lawrenson, Longford, Ennis, Bayley, Russell, Longworth, Baile
Any census info in this post is Crown Copyright, from National Archives

Smudge3

Post by Smudge3 » 18 Aug 2019 15:55

If you have any interest in the Irish famine the place to visit is Strokestown, County Roscommon Ireland. Strokestown Park House and the National Famine Museum are open seven days a week. In spring/summer it is open from 17th March to 31st October from 10:30am - 5:30pm www.strokestownpark.ie. Great place to visit. The way the people where treated is unbelievable, brought tears to my eyes.
Smudge

MaryA
Site Admin

Post by MaryA » 18 Aug 2019 17:53

There are some wonderful exhibitions about the famine in Ireland, another is at Johnstown Castle, Wexford.
MaryA
Our Facebook Page
Names - Lunt, Hall, Kent, Ayre, Forshaw, Parle, Lawrenson, Longford, Ennis, Bayley, Russell, Longworth, Baile
Any census info in this post is Crown Copyright, from National Archives