'Streets Ahead' by Paul Langton

Read a good book about family history or history recently? or what do you think of your Genealogy Software. Why not tell us about how good, bad or indifferent you think it was.

Moderator: MaryA

Aitcho

'Streets Ahead' by Paul Langton

Post by Aitcho » 13 Feb 2019 12:08

After reading an article written by Paddy Shennan in the Liverpool Echo a week or so ago regarding a book written by local taxi driver Paul Langton I decided to order a copy.

The book is titled, ‘Streets Ahead’ and in the introduction the author states “The initial concept of this book was to provide a pocket guide for all those in the Taxi trade in Liverpool as a referral if any customer enquired on aspects of Liverpool, or indeed, as a conversation starter.”

Not only is the book of interest to taxi drivers but it is a handy reference book for people interested in researching Family History relating to Liverpool.

The book contains three sections, firstly it lists numerous Liverpool streets and gives a brief description of the streets, for instance I had a particular interest in Stanley Street, Liverpool 1. My forebears arrived in Liverpool in the 1760’s and resided in Stanley Street after leaving Anglesey, Wales.

Part of the entry for Stanley Street L1 is as follows:

Positioned in the heart of Liverpool’s Gay Quarter and linking Dale Street with Whitechapel, this is one of the oldest streets in the city and originally named New Street.

(This is just the first few lines of the entry for Stanley Street, the rest of the description also contains the year the Street was laid out on land owned by the influential Moores family.)

Each street listed in te book has a description attached, the second section of the book is devoted to Origins of Town Names once again giving a description of the areas and including Notable Residents.

The final section of the book contains black and white photographs of Liverpool.

The book costs £6.99 plus post and packaging and is available directly from the author.

His email address is :- streets.ahead.paul [at] gmail.com (change the [at] to @ to use. MA)

Facebook page at Streets Ahead https://www.facebook.com/Streets-Ahead-783635555318730/

This is a handy reference book to have in your Family History books collection.
Aitcho

Member No. 8758

JohnnyO

Re: 'Streets Ahead' by Paul Langton

Post by JohnnyO » 13 Feb 2019 16:29

Thanks for that, handy to have!
Names - Orrett, Orritt, Ross, McCabe, Keeley, Bullen, White, Leatham, McKeon, Bilsbarrow, Yates, Sennett, Sinnett, Traynor, Ashton

MaryA
Site Admin

Post by MaryA » 13 Feb 2019 20:03

Thank you for that, sounds really good.

Hope you don't mind that I just added the Facebook link to your post for ease of use if anybody wants to get to it, but also I amended the email address slightly to prevent spamming.

I hope you will forward a copy of your review to the Journal as I'm sure other Society members will be interested. You can either write to the Editor via our contact form https://www.facebook.com/Streets-Ahead-783635555318730/ or email Editor [at] lswlfhs.org.uk

(change the [at] to @ to use.
MaryA
Our Facebook Page
Names - Lunt, Hall, Kent, Ayre, Forshaw, Parle, Lawrenson, Longford, Ennis, Bayley, Russell, Longworth, Baile
Any census info in this post is Crown Copyright, from National Archives

Aitcho

Post by Aitcho » 13 Feb 2019 20:32

Thanks Mary for adding the proper Facebook link, I do not use Facebook myself and also for the amendment to the authors email address.

I did get permission from Paul Langton to use his contact details.

Not sure what the post and packaging costs are as Paul had a fare in our area (live near John Lennon Airport) and dropped a copy of his book off at my home.
Aitcho

Member No. 8758