Richard Thomas Mitchell Burma

For your Military queries

Moderators: MaryA, VicMar1

lynne99

Richard Thomas Mitchell Burma

Post by lynne99 »

Hi, My Uncle Dick served in ww2 in Burma. I have a vague thought that he was in the airforce. He came back safe, but died in 1961 in York . He was born in Liverpool and lived in Silvester Street off Scotland Road. If any one can help me find more info , I would be very grateful
Thanks Lynne

MaryA
Site Admin

Re: Richard Thomas Mitchell Burma

Post by MaryA »

I'm not sure whether we would be knowledgeable enough about this to be a lot of help, but perhaps if you checked on Facebook there are quite a number of groups that might have some advice to offer. In their search box enter Royal Air Force and it will show up a number of groups - RAF, RAF Association, RAF and families, RAF Museum.

Have you found them on the 1939 Register and what was his occupation then? although that may have been too early for him to have been trained, also what did his death certificate give as his occupation?
MaryA
Our Facebook Page
Names - Lunt, Hall, Kent, Ayre, Forshaw, Parle, Lawrenson, Longford, Ennis, Bayley, Russell, Longworth, Baile
Any census info in this post is Crown Copyright, from National Archives

lynne99

Post by lynne99 »

At his death, he worked for "Lybro" who made overalls, he was their representative (agent?) in Yorkshire. I don't do face book. It is too easy to trace me and my job does not think it is safe. (bet that' got you thinking :D ) In 1939 he lived at 34 Gascoyne st with his mother and siblings. He worked as a packer for Lybro, Born 1912 and single.
Any ideas would help. Do NA have any info?
Thanks

retiringtype

Post by retiringtype »

As you have probably discovered, there is very little WW2 armed forces data online. Post 1920 service records are still held by the MoD - you can apply for a copy but it will cost you £30.

MaryA
Site Admin

Post by MaryA »

retiringtype wrote:
17 Aug 2020 10:48
Post 1920 service records are still held by the MoD - you can apply for a copy but it will cost you £30.
Problem with that is knowing for certain whether he was in the RAF or not, I think you need a little bit more info than what we have - unless they would accept a full name and date or birth as enough info to do a search?
MaryA
Our Facebook Page
Names - Lunt, Hall, Kent, Ayre, Forshaw, Parle, Lawrenson, Longford, Ennis, Bayley, Russell, Longworth, Baile
Any census info in this post is Crown Copyright, from National Archives

lynne99

Post by lynne99 »

Thanks for that all. How do I apply to MOD? I could save up my pennies, shouldn't take too long :D

retiringtype

Post by retiringtype »

The application forms are here but you will need to be sure of which service he was in, as the search form is service specific.

https://www.gov.uk/get-copy-military-se ... es-records

lynne99

Post by lynne99 »

Thanks RT

steviebyday

Post by steviebyday »

married Margaret. Nancy. Gibson. 28th April 1940

lynne99

Post by lynne99 »