S RYCROFT - KILLED ON THE SOMME

For your Military queries

Moderators: MaryA, VicMar1

Gazza1951+

S RYCROFT - KILLED ON THE SOMME

Post by Gazza1951+ »

Can anyone provide information about SAMUEL RYCROFT? Born 27:10:1895 in Liverpool he volunteered on 26:11:1914 & joined 2nd Bt.Border Regiment. Service No.4617. He was killed on 01:07:1916 on the first day of the big push on the Somme. He is buried at Danzg Alley Cemetery.
I have his Medal Index Card but cannot find his Service Papers....possibly among those destroyed. I have come across a couple of references to his death in Newspaper lists of casualties....but would dearly love a picture of him. I always thought all Soldiers had their portraits taken before leaving for the Front. Again, did they not all make Wills? I have been unable to trace that either.
Any think that anyone can come up with would be much appreciated. Thank you.

MaryA
Site Admin

Re: S RYCROFT - KILLED ON THE SOMME

Post by MaryA »

The place to find a photograph would be the newspaper that would have listed his death, together with photograph if one was provided. I've asked for a quick look up in a database that will advise whether there was this entry made.
MaryA
Our Facebook Page
Names - Lunt, Hall, Kent, Ayre, Forshaw, Parle, Lawrenson, Longford, Ennis, Bayley, Russell, Longworth, Baile
Any census info in this post is Crown Copyright, from National Archives

MaryA
Site Admin

Post by MaryA »

Quick answer -
There is a picture of him in the Evening Express, not available online. You will have to wait till Liverpool Archives opens. 5th Aug 1916 and 15th Aug 1916. If you cant get to the archives when it opens it can be obtained but there will be a charge.
MaryA
Our Facebook Page
Names - Lunt, Hall, Kent, Ayre, Forshaw, Parle, Lawrenson, Longford, Ennis, Bayley, Russell, Longworth, Baile

Gazza1951+

Post by Gazza1951+ »

That's brilliant news Mary, I've been searching for ages for a picture of him. If Ican't get down myself to the Archives, once they re-open, I don't mind paying for a copy to be obtained.
Thank you very much your efforts....much appreciated.

Gazza1951+

Post by Gazza1951+ »

Just quickly Mary...if I couldn’t get down to the Archives for some time after they re-open, how does requesting them to find & send the photo to me?
Thanks

MaryA
Site Admin

Post by MaryA »

If you requested them to do it they would charge £25 an hour, and we aren't sure whether the archivist who has the most knowledge may be retiring this year, so possibly won't even return.

The best thing to do is to ask on here and we can arrange it, there will be a much smaller charge.
MaryA
Our Facebook Page

Gazza1951+

Post by Gazza1951+ »

Thanks Mary....I'll bear that in mind.

Katie
Site Admin

Post by Katie »

The research service has been suspended. I think that they are looking to try and open in July. I will try and find out for you.
Member 4335 KatieFD
Strays Co-ordinator

MaryA
Site Admin

Post by MaryA »

Thanks Katie, Gazza can get in touch with either of us later and if me, then I'll pass it on to you.
MaryA
Our Facebook Page