Finding a Photo of a Liverpool soldier

For your Military queries

Moderators: MaryA, VicMar1

All Together Now

Finding a Photo of a Liverpool soldier

Post by All Together Now » 23 Jan 2019 11:40

I have been doing some family research and found that a Great Great Great Uncle of mine served as a Battery Sergeant Major (WOII) in B Battery of 277th Brigade RFA.

With him being a more loosely connected ancestor I don't know of any family members to contact to see if they have a photo of him. Was just wondering if anyone would know of anywhere that may have kept photos of Soldiers that survived the War (specifically of Liverpool born soldiers). It probably won't be possible to find one, but with him being a high rank NCO I thought it was worth enquiring.

Details:

Joseph Marcroft (b.1877/78) of 43 Gwydir Street, Princes Park.

277th Brigade started out as 1/3 West Lancs Brigade RFA, were attached to the 55th West Lancs Division from Jan 1916 - Jan 1917, and then became an Army Field Brigade so separate from the 55th Division for the rest of the War.

I think I have gathered all the docs about him from Ancestry etc - he won a DCM for actions at Cambrai (30.11.1917) and this was mentioned in the Liverpool Echo in March 1918.

Thanks

daggers

Re: Finding a Photo of a Liverpool soldier

Post by daggers » 23 Jan 2019 13:08

Hello and welcome to this forum.
You seem to have covered likely sources but I don’t think there is any central collection of photos of soldiers either locally or elsewhere. You mention the Echo, but have you tried other local papers?
Perhaps putting the surname into the subject title would catch the eye of other readers.

D
M. no. 31

MaryA
Site Admin

Post by MaryA » 23 Jan 2019 14:36

Hi and welcome to the forum. There may possibly be a photo in a local newspaper, however I suspect it would be better to search online than try to second guess at a date on a microfilm. Either Findmypast or the British Newspaper Archive might be helpful to you.
MaryA
Our Facebook Page
Names - Lunt, Hall, Kent, Ayre, Forshaw, Parle, Lawrenson, Longford, Ennis, Bayley, Russell, Longworth, Baile
Any census info in this post is Crown Copyright, from National Archives

All Together Now

Post by All Together Now » 24 Jan 2019 12:07

Thanks both.

I am going to the Liverpool Record Office in a week or 2 to see what they have on the 55th West Lancs Division (277th Brigade was with them for about a year) but think that will just have written docs.

Will keep looking, have signed up to the British Newspaper Archive.

MaryA
Site Admin

Post by MaryA » 25 Jan 2019 06:13

Have you checked the National Archives to see if there are any war diaries? and also the WWI forum, who have experts there who may be able to make suggestions.
https://www.greatwarforum.org/
MaryA
Our Facebook Page
Names - Lunt, Hall, Kent, Ayre, Forshaw, Parle, Lawrenson, Longford, Ennis, Bayley, Russell, Longworth, Baile
Any census info in this post is Crown Copyright, from National Archives

Katie
Site Admin

Post by Katie » 29 Jan 2019 20:14

There is no Picture in The Liverpool Echo or Evening Express for this soldier.

Kathyd
Member 4335 KatieFD
Strays Co-ordinator