Can anyone explain this?

The place for those off topic posts and chat.

Moderator: MaryA

Bertieone
Non Member

Can anyone explain this?

Post by Bertieone »

Is there any techy's who can explain why yesterday Sunday, 10/1/21, I was locked out unable to log in on my Windows 10 laptop and yet I could log in on my old Windows 7 laptop, the same has happened this morning.

Over the last month I have been refused entry a few times and I never thought of changing laptops with a different operating system.

Any thoughts on the matter?
Bert

MaryA
Site Admin

Re: Can anyone explain this?

Post by MaryA »

Can't say I have ever come across that, how are you locked out? in other words do you have a fingerprint access or a pin?
MaryA
Our Facebook Page
Names - Lunt, Hall, Kent, Ayre, Forshaw, Parle, Lawrenson, Longford, Ennis, Bayley, Russell, Longworth, Baile
Any census info in this post is Crown Copyright, from National Archives

Bertieone
Non Member

Post by Bertieone »

Mary,

Perhaps the wrong choice of words, Locked out = couldn't log in, now here I am logged in on Windows 10 laptop and Windows 7 laptop, at least I can argue with myself.
Bert

MaryA
Site Admin

Post by MaryA »

I would try to ask a nephew if its a computer problem but need to know in detail
MaryA
Our Facebook Page
Names - Lunt, Hall, Kent, Ayre, Forshaw, Parle, Lawrenson, Longford, Ennis, Bayley, Russell, Longworth, Baile

Bertieone
Non Member

Post by Bertieone »

It's the old forum problem we had when members couldn't log in on some days, I just couldn't understand why I could log in on different laptop. Laptop is fine, it doesn't happen anywhere else.
Bert

AndyJ

Post by AndyJ »

Bert,
I can't explain it other than to say that when most websites receive an incoming request to access a server the server then looks to see which browser and operating system the user's computer is using. The main reason for this is that in some browsers, certain non-standard code features found within a typical website won't display properly, so well-constructed websites write alternative code for the quirks found in the different browsers. I imagine something similar may also be necessary with different versions of operating systems. Whether that is behind this particular issue or not, I can't say.

Funnily enough I wasn't able to login at all this morning (nothing unusual in that unfortunately) then seeing your post here, I though about trying to login from my other computer (same browser, different operating system) It didn't work, but when I returned to my main work computer I was able to login. So in a roundabout way, you helped me again!

Bertieone
Non Member

Post by Bertieone »

Andy,

I think it's definitely a bug in the forum software provided by phpbb, it happens often to many, nothing to do with the forum members who run this electronic wizardry. PHPBB should sort it out.
Bert

MaryA
Site Admin

Post by MaryA »

Now I realise that you mean the forum, then yes I've had the same problem on two different laptops, however both running Windows 10.

As for PHPBB fixing the problem, we have attempted to make contact and also used their own forums to request help. but this is a software in the public domain and as such more or less down to users to run things themselves.

I am currently attempting to learn how to get around a new software, there will be some minor differences but overall hopefully it will run much more smoothly and I'll let you know as soon as I can how it's going.
MaryA
Our Facebook Page

Bertieone
Non Member

Post by Bertieone »

Thank you and Godspeed.
Bert