Lancashire Library Newspapers

The place for those off topic posts and chat.

Moderator: MaryA

Bertieone

Lancashire Library Newspapers

Post by Bertieone » 19 Sep 2019 18:29

Just a heads up,

If like me for the past couple of weeks you've been having trouble with the British Library Newspaper, example, getting one page and not moving on or pages disappearing altogether.

If you have IE as a browser, it's possible it has become IE unfriendly, the penny has only just dropped, Firefox, it works perfect.
Bert

MaryA
Site Admin

Re: Lancashire Library Newspapers

Post by MaryA » 20 Sep 2019 08:27

Thanks for that, I do use Firefox for the newspapers but find IE quite annoying, especially recently.

Have you tried familysearch on it? At the library it's impossible to use, can't seem to drill down to the place you want and the globe to choose location doesn't show up. Unfortunately it recommends Chrome which I also like, but the library doesn't approve of that either so familysearch is out of the running altogether at the library.
MaryA
Our Facebook Page
Names - Lunt, Hall, Kent, Ayre, Forshaw, Parle, Lawrenson, Longford, Ennis, Bayley, Russell, Longworth, Baile
Any census info in this post is Crown Copyright, from National Archives

Bertieone

Post by Bertieone » 20 Sep 2019 09:19

I do use Firefox for familysearch, at least familysearch gave us the heads up about IE no longer being compatible.

It seems IE has become more problematic on many sites now, so much my electronic wizardry freezes up on many occasions during the day, which is very annoying.

Perhaps I should move everything over to Firefox and be done with it.
Bert

MaryA
Site Admin

Post by MaryA » 20 Sep 2019 18:41

I wonder whether it's anything to do with this new Edge that I also don't use. I prefer to stick to Chrome and Firefox, they've withstood the test of time so far.
MaryA
Our Facebook Page
Names - Lunt, Hall, Kent, Ayre, Forshaw, Parle, Lawrenson, Longford, Ennis, Bayley, Russell, Longworth, Baile

Bertieone

Post by Bertieone » 21 Sep 2019 06:51

Not in my case as far as I know, Edge is on 10? I'm still on 7, clinging on as long as I can.
Bert

MaryA
Site Admin

Post by MaryA » 21 Sep 2019 07:54

Yes I think you are right, it sort of appeared when the stupid automatic update took place.
MaryA
Our Facebook Page

steveflan

Post by steveflan » 16 Oct 2019 21:18

IE seems to be getting more and more unusable with a whole host of websites. Personally I've used Chrome for about 10 years now and have never had any problems with it.

I would always go for Chrome, Firefox and IE in that order, with IE a very distant third (i.e. emergencies only when nothing else will work).
Researching FLANAGAN, BLAIR, COLERIDGE, HOLDEN & HUMPHREYS
Member # 8595

MaryA
Site Admin

Post by MaryA » 17 Oct 2019 08:33

I get the feeling that as Bertieone says, Edge came along with Windows 10 so I imagine hey have withdrawn support for IE, but as sites have moved on in line with W10 perhaps that's why they won't work with earlier browser.
MaryA
Our Facebook Page