Forum

The place for those off topic posts and chat.

Moderator: MaryA

Bertieone

Forum

Post by Bertieone » 19 Nov 2018 10:21

Is this forum becoming redundant?

Thoughts.
Bert

MaryA
Site Admin

Re: Forum

Post by MaryA » 19 Nov 2018 12:43

It's exceptionally quiet, but I'm not closing it while we have live members.

If nothing else the websites etc. are extremely useful.
MaryA
Our Facebook Page
Names - Lunt, Hall, Kent, Ayre, Forshaw, Parle, Lawrenson, Longford, Ennis, Bayley, Russell, Longworth, Baile
Any census info in this post is Crown Copyright, from National Archives

daggers

Post by daggers » 19 Nov 2018 13:46

Still alive, and used it last week, successfully, as usual.
D
M. no. 31

Blue70

Post by Blue70 » 19 Nov 2018 19:54

At the moment more people visit the forum for the resources than post enquiries. Perhaps the reduction in posts could have something to do with the online availability of local records? Ancestry and Family Search have great coverage now so there is maybe less interest in local archives? I've often looked at the stats for visitors and wondered what they were looking at. Perhaps another site has posted a link to something on the forum and they're all looking at the same thing? We usually get busy around Christmas and January of each year the holiday season makes people think of their family background so there's usually new researchers and others restart their research. Good time of year to get a new subscription. Usually the time of year when there's too many enquirers not enough helpers so I'm sure things will liven up soon.

Blue
Member No. 8038

NIL SATIS NISI OPTIMUM

MaryA
Site Admin

Post by MaryA » 19 Nov 2018 20:11

We will continue on my friends.

I also wonder if the investigations into DNA testing might have something to do with it, many researchers are focussing on that and on social media groups specific to DNA results, although social media also has much to do with it as the Facebook group is fairly busy.
MaryA
Our Facebook Page
Names - Lunt, Hall, Kent, Ayre, Forshaw, Parle, Lawrenson, Longford, Ennis, Bayley, Russell, Longworth, Baile

Bertieone

Post by Bertieone » 20 Nov 2018 06:30

As usual, sense from Blue, we will have to wait and see.

What springs to mind is "Use it or lose it"

I do wonder why the society thought there was a need for 2 forums, I know they finance this forum and I'm aware of the "Rules of Engagement" not that they are ever enforced, do the same rules apply to FB?

I have visited FB through Mary's signature link, can't log in, I do hope Mary has a link under her FB signature directing people here.

I fear the next order will be, "Prepare to move, move" that would deeply sadden me.
Bert

MaryA
Site Admin

Post by MaryA » 20 Nov 2018 09:54

The Facebook Group was actually set up by a previous Webmaster, whether for good or ill this has become very popular as is most social media.

Whenever possible my responses on Facebook are that "there is a wonderful and knowledgeable group of members on our forum, who are more than willing to help" and the link is given. Also links to information are provided in the hope that once visited they will stay.

As for the "Rules of Engagement" I'm assuming that you are referring to the forum being for members only - this has fallen by the wayside on here now, backed by the Committee, as I felt that the ruling began the downward trail which has continued. I had hoped that although forum members are definitely encouraged to join the Society, it not being set in stone I thought might generate more traffic, however I now think that's gone too far.

Any suggestions would be very welcome.
MaryA
Our Facebook Page

JohnnyO

Post by JohnnyO » 20 Nov 2018 11:26

Although I use both forum and Facebook, I personally feel that the forum members have a better response than social media. More assistance,detail, pictures etc, and especially more time.

I would be very sad to see the demise of the forum, and hope this will not be the case. I still have lots and lots of questions for you wonderful people :D
Names - Orrett, Orritt, Ross, McCabe, Keeley, Bullen, White, Leatham, McKeon, Bilsbarrow, Yates, Sennett, Sinnett, Traynor, Ashton

Bertieone

Post by Bertieone » 20 Nov 2018 13:37

Pleased to hear it, John.

No problem with the new ruling, equality for all etc.

Paying what amounts to about 20p a week to the society is hardly worth worrying about and I hope new forum members consider doing so.
Bert

daggers

Post by daggers » 20 Nov 2018 14:12

I have no interest in Facebook and would not join even if this forum ceased. I did not realise that Members Only had lapsed, but if our gallant Moderator and mainspring can stand it, I cannot see any harm.
D
M. no. 31

LukeJ

Post by LukeJ » 20 Nov 2018 21:45

I'm relatively new to the forum but already I've been helped loads, a lot more than on facebook,.etc. where sometimes the posts just get missed or ignored. I always get good replies here.
The best thing is that the posts stay around,
In 10 years someone else researching my family history might stumble across my posts and can get in touch or have new information about it.
Hopefully it stays for a while, I'll be better myself at helping other people in the future. It's great for references and links.
I came across someone on wirral forum researching the same family history there who turned out to be my dad's first cousin who I was able to meet up with in person and now keep in contact with.
So forums are better. :) keep with it!

MaryA
Site Admin

Post by MaryA » 21 Nov 2018 06:30

JohnnyO wrote:
20 Nov 2018 11:26
Although I use both forum and Facebook, I personally feel that the forum members have a better response than social media. More assistance,detail, pictures etc, and especially more time.
LukeJ wrote:
20 Nov 2018 21:45
on facebook,.etc. where sometimes the posts just get missed or ignored. I always get good replies here.
The best thing is that the posts stay around,
You have all agreed with my own feelings. Few as we may be on here your knowledge far exceeds that of the posters on social media, your responses are far more thought out and accurate and your resources, which you are so kind as to use, are far more widely ranging than any that others hold - who merely check Ancestry/Findmypast etc. and yet still claim to have searched "everywhere". That phrase still makes me pull my hair out!

As for the posts staying around, if, like me, you read most of the new posts, you will notice that we often get members who join because they have come across their family mentioned, the latest one was a post from 2009 I believe.

There has been no mention of retiring the forum by any of the Committee, and we will go on as long as people keep joining and getting such amazingly accurate responses as you all give them.

As for the Websites and For Posterity being "great for references and links" I use these so often. One link that I have missed recently has been the 1900 streetmap site which has sadly died a death. One thing we should thank a Facebook member for is the recreation of this and I have recently changed the link to that of his own site http://justme.org.uk/code/index.html he would be grateful for any feedback if you come across a link that doesn't work. However, my own thoughts, besides being grateful for this, are that being on a personal website the same thing could happen again and we could lose it again. So I have had words with him and he has allowed us a copy of his recreation which we hope to host on the Society page so that it will be there for ever I hope. I believe he may be doing the same with the Churches and Schools/Colleges maps. So something to thank FB for.
MaryA
Our Facebook Page

alex69

Post by alex69 » 21 Nov 2018 08:56

I am a member, Forum reader and poster and FB reader and poster.

The 'dwindling' on the Forum is of course to be regretted but I agree with comments above that the quality and depth of the responses that are engendered on here rather than in 'the other place'! is something to be cherished by those of us who see family history as more than just a passing fad.

Perhaps if when we respond on FB in the future we should all link to the forum at the foot of our responses. ( As Mary has today regarding Crew Lists). This may direct traffic this way.

Alex

keep up the good work.

Bertieone

Post by Bertieone » 21 Nov 2018 10:15

alex69 wrote:
21 Nov 2018 08:56

Perhaps if when we respond on FB in the future we should all link to the forum at the foot of our responses. ( As Mary has today regarding Crew Lists). This may direct traffic this way.

Alex

keep up the good work.
Will be very helpful, thanks, Alex
Bert

MaryA
Site Admin

Post by MaryA » 21 Nov 2018 10:23

alex69 wrote:
Perhaps if when we respond on FB in the future we should all link to the forum at the foot of our responses. ( As Mary has today regarding Crew Lists).
This is something I regularly do, however there is no telling just how many of the readers in the other place take up the link, as I hope they do.
MaryA
Our Facebook Page

JohnnyO

Post by JohnnyO » 21 Nov 2018 17:11

MaryA wrote:
21 Nov 2018 10:23
alex69 wrote:
Perhaps if when we respond on FB in the future we should all link to the forum at the foot of our responses. ( As Mary has today regarding Crew Lists).
This is something I regularly do, however there is no telling just how many of the readers in the other place take up the link, as I hope they do.
I will do from now on!
Names - Orrett, Orritt, Ross, McCabe, Keeley, Bullen, White, Leatham, McKeon, Bilsbarrow, Yates, Sennett, Sinnett, Traynor, Ashton

erika

Post by erika » 21 Nov 2018 17:22

I haven't posted for sometime, but that's mainly because I am researching elsewhere at the moment. Also during the summer months and better weather, family history takes a back seat!

However I check in to the site on a regular basis and try to keep up with what's happening, I'm usually too late to help by then :evil: :lol:

I would be very upset to lose the Forum as everyone here has been and still are very helpful, very friendly and prepared to go the extra mile :D

Cheers
Erika :D

Erika
Membership No. 7633

Living in hopes of finding info on-
Campbell-Liverpool, Scotland
Owen-Liverpool,Wrexham,Shropshire
Griffiths-Liverpool,Cheshire
Breese/Breeze-Llanbrynmair,London
Plumridge-London,Nottingham