Florence Louise Wheatstone

For queries not relating directly to the area of the West Derby Hundred.

Moderators: MaryA, VicMar1

alex69

Florence Louise Wheatstone

Post by alex69 »

Florence Louise Wheatstone b 1870 married Ernest Dillon-Shallard in 3 August 1893 at St Mary Lambeth London. Her father is stated to be Charles Wheatstone (Deceased).

In the 1871 Census the entry for 15 Blenheim Crescent, Kensington London has
Harriett Roberts, Head, Married, 52, Tobacconist born Somersetshire (sic)
Florence Roberts, daughter, Single, 20,born St Pancras
Florence S (sic) Roberts, grand daughter, 4 months, born Kensington
Charles P Wheatstone, Lodger, unm[arried], 23, Clerk Telegraph [fa]ctory

I have obtained the birth certificate for Florence Louise Roberts. this shows date of birth 21st December 1870. 15 Blenheim Crescent as address where born and address of mother (informant).

Father is shown as Charles Roberts, Telegraph Clerk and under mother's maiden name is says Florence Louisa Roberts formerly Rogers
Any thoughts? I suspect Charles Roberts could be Charles Wheatstone but what of Rogers?

Alex

alex69

Re: Florence Louise Wheatstone

Post by alex69 »

I've just found that Florence Louisa born 1852 St Pancras MMN was Rogers.

Bertieone

Post by Bertieone »

I suspect some porkies at the birth registration, Rogers being her mothers maiden name, if she used her own name to register, Roberts as a married woman, her husbands name would have to tally and the maiden name would have to be different.
Bert

MaryA
Site Admin

Post by MaryA »

Oooh and how often do we come across such porkies ;)
MaryA
Our Facebook Page
Names - Lunt, Hall, Kent, Ayre, Forshaw, Parle, Lawrenson, Longford, Ennis, Bayley, Russell, Longworth, Baile
Any census info in this post is Crown Copyright, from National Archives

alex69

Post by alex69 »

Thank you.

Exactly as I surmised. Just good to have confirmation.

The daughter of Ernest and Florence - Nora Shallard, (otherwise Dillon-Shallard) aged 6 was living in my house at the time of the 1901 Census.

I am writing the history of the occupants of the house and their families. a sort of cross between WDYTYA and A House Through Time.

All very interesting. This lot have connections to the Stage (Ernest) the early Independent Labour Party and the Suffragette movement (Ernest's brother) and the invention of the concertina, the telegraph and the Wheatstone Bridge. Sir Charles Wheatstone was great grandfather to Nora and father of Charles Wheatstone (Roberts!!)) all assuming of course that Charles was the father of Florence Louise.

Alex

MaryA
Site Admin

Post by MaryA »

Sounds as if there is going to be a lot of variety in it Alex, what will you do at the end of your research ie, will it be published? perhaps in our Journal? I for one would love to read it and I'm sure many others would too.
MaryA
Our Facebook Page
Names - Lunt, Hall, Kent, Ayre, Forshaw, Parle, Lawrenson, Longford, Ennis, Bayley, Russell, Longworth, Baile

alex69

Post by alex69 »

Mary

I have done a preliminary presentation (Powerpoint) to my local Family History Society and I am honing that with a view to possible online presentations.

In due course it may well be self published, possibly on Amazon. Certainly no literary prize on the horizon!

Alex

MaryA
Site Admin

Post by MaryA »

Do remember our Journal as it would be a great way for us to share the story.

Good luck with the preparations for creating your online presentation, if you have any hints, especially about adding sound, do let me know as we are hoping to do something similar for our members on our website.
MaryA
Our Facebook Page