Lancs OPC 'seniority'

For queries not relating directly to the area of the West Derby Hundred.

Moderators: MaryA, VicMar1

JohnnyO

Lancs OPC 'seniority'

Post by JohnnyO »

Hi all, looking through some year 1700 baptismal records on Lancs OPC and a few have the word 'seniority' in the wording, with differing numbers, I have seen 1 and 5.
Any idea what this refers to, the parents standing in the community or similar?
Thanks, John
Names - Orrett, Orritt, Ross, McCabe, Keeley, Bullen, White, Leatham, McKeon, Bilsbarrow, Yates, Sennett, Sinnett, Traynor, Ashton

MaryA
Site Admin

Re: Lancs OPC 'seniority'

Post by MaryA »

I hadn't come across that before, so new to me, but I discovered some up to 10. Checking out Mr Google, I've discovered that it would seem to be the number the child came in order. Quoting Family Tree Forum

"Dade Registers

Very detailed registers that contain far more information than the standard baptism and burial entries.

1770 Rev Dade (a Yorkshire vicar) wrote "This scheme if properly put in execution will afford much clearer intelligence to the researches of posterity than the imperfect method hitherto generally pursued."

The baptismal registers were to include child's name, seniority (eg. first son), father's name, profession, place of abode and descent (ie names, professions and places of abode of the father's parents), similar information about the mother, the infant's date of birth and baptism.
This form of entry ended when Rose’s Act was implemented in 1812
180 English parishes have Dade registers."
MaryA
Our Facebook Page
Names - Lunt, Hall, Kent, Ayre, Forshaw, Parle, Lawrenson, Longford, Ennis, Bayley, Russell, Longworth, Baile
Any census info in this post is Crown Copyright, from National Archives

JohnnyO

Post by JohnnyO »

Thanks Mary, very interesting. I always like to ask before Googling, keeps some interaction on the forums and may help others.

Strange though that there are nine baptisms at Saint Nicholas Liverpool between 1788 and 1806 for I hope the same family. Only 2 of the entries show seniority. All are children of Jeremiah and Margaret Shaw. All reflect that he was a Miller in Liverpool, at different addresses over the period.A number of entries show 'Margaret (formerly Williams)' and others have a line for 'Mother's Father: William Williams'. Maybe the way they have been transcribed or whoever performed the ceremony. In each case no reference to that.

Just realised, two of them are at St Mary Walton on the Hill. Same parent names but no reference to occupation. These are the ones that have Mother's Father: William Williams, which was the name of her father. Now thinking that these two are different families, as one is a Robert Shaw baptised 15 Dec 1807 but the earlier entries has a baptism for Robert Shaw 15 Jun 1800, but I cannot see a death record for him between them and Dec 1807 when the 'other' Robert was born :?
Names - Orrett, Orritt, Ross, McCabe, Keeley, Bullen, White, Leatham, McKeon, Bilsbarrow, Yates, Sennett, Sinnett, Traynor, Ashton

MaryA
Site Admin

Post by MaryA »

Certainly by all means post on here, it keeps our brains working and I may have been wrong so somebody else might have come up with the right answer.

At those dates it's very difficult to be sure isn't it. I once did a similar exercise, similar dates, using addresses and occupations, the baptisms were split between St Peter's and St Nicks. Many others in online trees and contacts I had, had them all as the same family, but collating a spreadsheet I've made everybody doubt - and I still don't have an answer for it.
MaryA
Our Facebook Page
Names - Lunt, Hall, Kent, Ayre, Forshaw, Parle, Lawrenson, Longford, Ennis, Bayley, Russell, Longworth, Baile
Any census info in this post is Crown Copyright, from National Archives