Two Baptisms or different person?

For queries not relating directly to the area of the West Derby Hundred.

Moderators: MaryA, VicMar1

JohnnyO

Two Baptisms or different person?

Post by JohnnyO » 17 Sep 2019 21:54

I have found another family member to add to the growing tree. Orma Lillian Platt, MMN Orrett. I have a GRO record for August 1886, Orma Lillian Platt, MMN Orrett. I also have a Lancs OPC Baptism record for her, 25 Aug 1886 St Mary, Grassendale, Lancashire, England; Orma Lilian Platt - [Child] of John Platt & Jane. Abode: Seddon Road, Grassendale, Occupation: Omnibus Conductor. His occupation ties in with their marriage in Everton in 1884. Jane Orrett, the mother, was buried on 27th August 1886 at Toxteth park cemetery. Maybe due to complications during childbirth?

However, here is the puzzle. Ancestry has a Baptismal record for a Orma Lillian Platt, born 10th August 1886 and Baptised 5 Sep 1886 Armley, St Bartholomew, Yorkshire, England, parents John and Jane Platt.His occupation is a guard. Could that be classed as the same as an Omnibus Conductor?

The 1891 census has a Orma L Platt, niece, born 1887 in Garston, but in Armley, Yorkshire. Other families are Williscroft and Chadwick, neither name as yet in my tree.

The 1901 census again has Orma Lillian Platt registered with the Williscroft family, born 1887 in Liverpool.

The only other Ancestry clue is a Probate record for a Orma Lillian Platt, widow, died Prestatyn in 1948, so unless she married another Platt, not her. Familysearch has no record of a marriage of an Orma Lillian to anyone, let alone a Platt

I did think that it might have been a mispelling of Norma, but all records state Orma.

Just a postscript - the beneficiary of the will for Orma Lillian in 1848 is Geoffrey Watson Platt. FreeBMD has this birth: Platt Geoffrey W. MMN Platt. Toxteth P. 8b 369. Looks like she may have married a Platt after all, but I still can't find the marriage!

Any thoughts folks? :?
Names - Orrett, Orritt, Ross, McCabe, Keeley, Bullen, White, Leatham, McKeon, Bilsbarrow, Yates, Sennett, Sinnett, Traynor, Ashton

Bertieone

Re: Two Baptisms or different person?

Post by Bertieone » 18 Sep 2019 06:00

Hi John,

39 Reg,
2 Hargreaves Rd, Liverpool

Birthday and month correspond with the Armley Baptism and Geoffrey's birth corresponds with his death registration.
Geoffrey Watson Platt
Death Age:
Birth Date:
25 Jun 1920
Registration Date:
Jun 2006
Registration district:
Reading
Inferred County:
Berkshire
Register Number:
D18B
District and Subdistrict:
320/1D
Bert

Bertieone

Post by Bertieone » 18 Sep 2019 07:22

The 2 baptism's,

The Grassendale baptism, 25 Aug, 1886 has a "P" in the column, Private baptism, likely to have been performed before mother Jane passed, Jane being buried 27 Aug, 1886. The second baptism, 5/9/1886, perhaps organised by the family she went to live with, if the father wasn't present, could be the reason for the mix up between Guard and Conductor.
Bert

MaryA
Site Admin

Post by MaryA » 18 Sep 2019 08:23

Definitely agree with Bert's findings, I would suspect that they might have feared to lose them both so baptised the baby, happily she survived.
MaryA
Our Facebook Page
Names - Lunt, Hall, Kent, Ayre, Forshaw, Parle, Lawrenson, Longford, Ennis, Bayley, Russell, Longworth, Baile
Any census info in this post is Crown Copyright, from National Archives

JohnnyO

Post by JohnnyO » 18 Sep 2019 17:33

Thnks both as ever for the help and clarifying. Not having the people she was with in the census returns made things a little harder. presume they may have been on the father's side rather than the Orretts.

I did not see the 'P' for private baptism, but would not have picked up on that. Thanks for the additional info Bert, Ive now added the 1939 register to the tree. I notice she was calling herself Lilian then, not Orma. I wonder if that was the name she used when she married Mr Platt, Geoffrey's father. I still cannot see marriage record for them.
Names - Orrett, Orritt, Ross, McCabe, Keeley, Bullen, White, Leatham, McKeon, Bilsbarrow, Yates, Sennett, Sinnett, Traynor, Ashton

Bertieone

Post by Bertieone » 18 Sep 2019 18:35

John,

I suspect there wasn't a wedding, widow hides possible embarrassment, no need to elaborate.
Bert

JohnnyO

Post by JohnnyO » 18 Sep 2019 20:54

Bertieone wrote:
18 Sep 2019 18:35
John,

I suspect there wasn't a wedding, widow hides possible embarrassment, no need to elaborate.
Fair comment Bert, thanks.

alex69

Post by alex69 » 01 Oct 2019 10:16

Surely Birth certificate for Geoffrey (1920) would show father's name. Of course it may be blank!

Alex