28 Jordan Street

For queries within the area of Lancashire between the Ribble and the Mersey.
This board covers the areas of all our Groups - Liverpool, Southport, Warrington, Skelmersdale, Leigh and Widnes.

Moderators: MaryA, VicMar1

Thefarmers

28 Jordan Street

Post by Thefarmers »

Hello
My Great grandmother's brother was born in 1874 at 28 Jordan Street although his father's address is given as 4 Court, St JAmes Street. This was still his family's address when he died 23 months later.
i wondered why he wasn't born at home. Does anybody know if 28 Jordan Street has any significance? THe family were extremely poor so I cannot imagine they could pay for help when his mother gave birth.
Many thanks.
Thefarmers
Member 9106

Bertieone

Re: 28 Jordan Street

Post by Bertieone »

If you have Ancestry the link will take you to the property to view for possible relatives, perhaps she had her child in the company of someone who had birthing experience.

https://www.ancestry.co.uk/imageviewer/ ... d=29132278

The below person will also take you to the page,
1871 census,
Elizabeth Dawson, born Ireland, 1826.

RG10 P3778 F76 Page17
Last edited by Bertieone on 12 Nov 2020 07:54, edited 1 time in total.
Bert

MaryA
Site Admin

Post by MaryA »

I haven't heard anything special about that address, however just looking at where it is on the map in relation to St James Street, I would suspect that there was a "lady who looked after these things" living nearby and perhaps Court housing may have just been too crowded so they went to her rather than her visiting the home. http://justme.org.uk/code/S11.html
MaryA
Our Facebook Page
Names - Lunt, Hall, Kent, Ayre, Forshaw, Parle, Lawrenson, Longford, Ennis, Bayley, Russell, Longworth, Baile
Any census info in this post is Crown Copyright, from National Archives

Thefarmers

Post by Thefarmers »

Many thanks for your replies and the resources shared. I think the idea of somebody who helped would make sense. I will look into Mary Dawson further too and see if there is any link.
Was Jordan Street close to St James Street?
I am very grateful for the time you have given to respond.
Thefarmers
Member 9106

JohnnyO

Post by JohnnyO »

Thefarmers wrote:
12 Nov 2020 08:47
Many thanks for your replies and the resources shared. I think the idea of somebody who helped would make sense. I will look into Mary Dawson further too and see if there is any link.
Was Jordan Street close to St James Street?
I am very grateful for the time you have given to respond.
Jordan Street was off St James Street.
Names - Orrett, Orritt, Ross, McCabe, Keeley, Bullen, White, Leatham, McKeon, Bilsbarrow, Yates, Sennett, Sinnett, Traynor, Ashton

MaryA
Site Admin

Post by MaryA »

Use the link to the map I gave above, you will see both streets.
MaryA
Our Facebook Page
Names - Lunt, Hall, Kent, Ayre, Forshaw, Parle, Lawrenson, Longford, Ennis, Bayley, Russell, Longworth, Baile
Any census info in this post is Crown Copyright, from National Archives