Birth Certificate search

For queries within the area of Lancashire between the Ribble and the Mersey.
This board covers the areas of all our Groups - Liverpool, Southport, Warrington, Skelmersdale, Leigh and Widnes.

Moderators: MaryA, VicMar1

Stewpot1944

Birth Certificate search

Post by Stewpot1944 »

In the Lancashire/Liverpool online parish records I found these details regarding a great grandmother, Priscilla Lloyd -
Baptism: 29 Jan 1844 St Peter, Liverpool, Lancs.
Pricilla Lloyd - [Child] of George Lloyd & Mary
In the margin - Born: 24 May 1843
Abode: Bispham St
[Father's]Occupation: Carter
The dates are very clear and specific but I have searched BMD sites and the General Register Office and cannot find a matching record. Does anyone have any suggestions or thoughts?
Thank you
Stewart

Bertieone

Re: Birth Certificate search

Post by Bertieone »

Hi Stewart and welcome,

Some children were not registered, at that time it wasn't compulsory and some families placed baptism as more important, perhaps for reasons of finance.

If you know the mothers maiden name, you could check the registration for child's surname and mothers maiden name in the event the child's name was changed for baptism, come across that before.
Bert

Stewpot1944

Post by Stewpot1944 »

Many thanks
Stewart

MaryA
Site Admin

Post by MaryA »

Hi, welcome to the forum. I believe Bertieone is correct in that she may not have been registered. There are not many female Lloyds registered in the June and September quarters in the West Derby/Liverpool registration districts, nor many Priscillas, so it wouldn't seem that a spelling error has occurred.

As advised, you should familiarise yourself with the GRO website and check whether there is another child registered in those quarters with the same parents names, other children born to the marriage might help you identify the mother's maiden name.
MaryA
Our Facebook Page
Names - Lunt, Hall, Kent, Ayre, Forshaw, Parle, Lawrenson, Longford, Ennis, Bayley, Russell, Longworth, Baile
Any census info in this post is Crown Copyright, from National Archives

Stewpot1944

Post by Stewpot1944 »

Many thanks for both replies. They prompted me to do some background reading about the registration of births - very interesting indeed to see how and why it developed over the centuries.
Stewart

MaryA
Site Admin

Post by MaryA »

Also a thought that if they had the child before marriage she may have been registered in the mothers name, probably not too bothered about the fib to the vicar.
MaryA
Our Facebook Page
Names - Lunt, Hall, Kent, Ayre, Forshaw, Parle, Lawrenson, Longford, Ennis, Bayley, Russell, Longworth, Baile
Any census info in this post is Crown Copyright, from National Archives