Eaves and Mitchell families.

For queries within the area of Lancashire between the Ribble and the Mersey.
This board covers the areas of all our Groups - Liverpool, Southport, Warrington, Skelmersdale, Leigh and Widnes.

Moderators: MaryA, VicMar1

lynne99

Eaves and Mitchell families.

Post by lynne99 »

Hi, Hope you are all getting ready for Christmas. I am back with another problem.
My 2x Great grandmother was left a widow in 1845 when her first husband John Mitchell, b c 1812 in Banffshire, died in Allerton. She had 4 sons from this marriage. She married Thomas Barton Eaves, (B 1821 in Leeds) in 1853 in Liverpool. I have found 3 children to this marriage Alice Ellen Eaves b 1854 Liverpool, who I think died 1859. Then there were twins Thomas Arthur b 1858 and was buried 13 March 1859. His mother had died 1858 , soon after child birth. Thomas' twin brother was called Carrick also b 1858, Liverpool. I cannot find Carrick mentioned again after his birth registration. I can find Thomas B Eaves in 1871 with a new wife Isabel Boulard, who he married in 1867, St Peter's Liverpool. I cannot find him anywhere in 1861. In 1871 he was a cotton Porter living in Beau St with Isabel and her 2 children.
Please can you help me find Carrick . Thanks

Bertieone

Re: Eaves and Mitchell families.

Post by Bertieone »

Hi Lynne,

It troubles me, why baptise one twin, Thomas Arthur without the other, Carrick. It doesn't appear to be a Private baptism.

I'm wondering if he had received a completely different name, due to being taken on by another "Adoption" after his mother's death?

Can't find any sign of him either.
Bert

Bertieone

Post by Bertieone »

Lynne,

Do you know the exact date of Esther's death,

Before or after, Thomas Arthur's baptism, 14 November, 1858?

Is it possible, Carrick was stillborn? there was no requirement to register a stillborn death in 1858, however in confusion his birth was wrongly registered.

One child being baptised still niggles me.
Bert

MaryA
Site Admin

Post by MaryA »

Up early again Bert! It doesn't make sense to have only one twin baptised. Lynne do you have all documents? Are there times on the birth certificates denoting twins? however it wasn't always strictly adhered to. Where is the other little lad buried?
MaryA
Our Facebook Page
Names - Lunt, Hall, Kent, Ayre, Forshaw, Parle, Lawrenson, Longford, Ennis, Bayley, Russell, Longworth, Baile
Any census info in this post is Crown Copyright, from National Archives

Bertieone

Post by Bertieone »

Both children are buried at, St Martins in the Field.

Thomas Arthur Eaves, Mill St East, 13 March, 1859.

Alice Ellen Eaves, same Address, 23 March, 1859.
Bert

lynne99

Post by lynne99 »

Mother, Esther Ellen , died 8th October 1858 and was buried in a public grave at Toxteth Cemetery on 2 Nov section M grave 895. I wonder why the long gap between death and burial. I do have this death certificate. I cannot find a death reg for Carrick. Where did you find his (Thomas) baptism?? I did not find that. Thanks

lynne99

Post by lynne99 »

I am an idiot. :oops: I have got his baptism, but as you say no Carrick

Bertieone

Post by Bertieone »

lynne99 wrote:
08 Dec 2019 08:47
Mother, Esther Ellen , died 8th October 1858 and was buried in a public grave at Toxteth Cemetery on 2 Nov section M grave 895. I wonder why the long gap between death and burial. I do have this death certificate. I cannot find a death reg for Carrick. Where did you find his (Thomas) baptism?? I did not find that. Thanks

Could it be a mistake on the copy certificate, perhaps 28th, have you asked for a check and confirmation of the date?
Bert

lynne99

Post by lynne99 »

Didn't know you could do that. It might of course be my copy mistake. I'll get the original out. Will be back

MaryA
Site Admin

Post by MaryA »

If the date is correct possibly try the Inquest Diary at the library.
MaryA
Our Facebook Page
Names - Lunt, Hall, Kent, Ayre, Forshaw, Parle, Lawrenson, Longford, Ennis, Bayley, Russell, Longworth, Baile
Any census info in this post is Crown Copyright, from National Archives

lynne99

Post by lynne99 »

:oops: Silly me. How easy it happens. It was 28th not the 8th . She died of phthisis. So presumably the children died of that as well.

Bertieone

Post by Bertieone »

The oddities that come up,

(55) Ashton St is mentioned on a few records, children's baptisms, etc.

Living at 56 Ashton St, 1861 census and Ashton St given on marriage cert, 1852, is John Carrick and wife Sophia.

Perhaps just good friends and used the surname to name Carrick Eaves.
Bert

Bertieone

Post by Bertieone »

There's a burial,

William Eaves, 19 July, 1859, 11 months old, St Martins in the Field,

Address, Mill Street East,

Same address as Thomas Arthur and Alice Ellen.

11months old gives a birth during the September Qtr, 1858, I can't find a birth reg for a William Eaves during that Qtr, Liverpool area. Death is registered.

Clutching at straws,

There wouldn't be if he was registered Carrick and his parents decided to or preferred to call him William. Still no baptism and definitely no sign of a Carrick Eaves.
Bert

lynne99

Post by lynne99 »

Thanks for all your input. It is very much appreciated. Perhaps the neighbour's name was used or they changed the name later.