Redmond/Redman

For queries within the area of Lancashire between the Ribble and the Mersey.
This board covers the areas of all our Groups - Liverpool, Southport, Warrington, Skelmersdale, Leigh and Widnes.

Moderators: MaryA, VicMar1

MaryA
Site Admin

Re: Redmond/Redman

Post by MaryA » 10 Jul 2019 07:23

I've been admiring the work done by Bert throughout this thread, amazing! I'm sorry I had to edit a line above but although you may research living people, we don't name them on here to preserve their privacy.
LThompson wrote:
09 Jul 2019 19:23
Marriage records are only before 2003.
There are I think five places in the country that hold the complete indexes, one of them being Manchester. Unfortunately a modern trend nowadays is not to marry at all so it's very difficult to trace somebody in that manner.

I am sending you a pm that you might find useful.
MaryA
Our Facebook Page
Names - Lunt, Hall, Kent, Ayre, Forshaw, Parle, Lawrenson, Longford, Ennis, Bayley, Russell, Longworth, Baile
Any census info in this post is Crown Copyright, from National Archives

LThompson

Post by LThompson » 10 Jul 2019 19:24

Hello Mary,

I agree, Bert is amazing and often has additional information before I have a chance to start researching.
My apologies regarding researching living people appearing on this site. I agree completely and will, in the future, refrain from mentioning any living persons.

My reference was to the UK BMD database, one of the few I am aware of to pull information. This is why I turned to your society in hopes that being local, you would have knowledge additional sites and local knowledge.
I appreciate the information provided and am following up on everything presented to me.

My cousin and I have booked a B&B in Chester in May 2020 and hope to visit sites in Liverpool and the Elan Valley, Wales where our great-grandmother was sent to work after her children were sent to Canada as home children.
I am also hoping to meet Bert and you to extend our thanks personally.

Thank you for your continuing support.
Lois

MaryA
Site Admin

Post by MaryA » 11 Jul 2019 06:38

I see you didn't pick up your private message.
MaryA
Our Facebook Page
Names - Lunt, Hall, Kent, Ayre, Forshaw, Parle, Lawrenson, Longford, Ennis, Bayley, Russell, Longworth, Baile

LThompson

Post by LThompson » 11 Jul 2019 16:29

Hi Mary,

My apologies, I saw the PM but not sure how to pick up a private message.

Lois

MaryA
Site Admin

Post by MaryA » 11 Jul 2019 19:03

All you do is click on it.
MaryA
Our Facebook Page

LThompson

Post by LThompson » 11 Jul 2019 22:43

Hi Mary,

Obviously I am challenged. There does not appear to be a link to click on.
If you would like my email, I would be happy to forward.

Cheers
Lois

Bertieone

Post by Bertieone » 12 Jul 2019 05:36

Lois,

Top right hand corner (laptop) next to your username when logged in.

Bert

LThompson

Post by LThompson » 12 Jul 2019 17:57

Hi Bert,

Again, thank you for this information. Aligns with what I found under the electoral registration,living with parents until her father died. Age matches as well.
I cannot find the female person we were looking for in the BT phone book but I did find same female person on the website www.192.com with a partial address which matches what Mary sent.

I have also been searching for the sibling, mentioned in Arthur's obituary. There is a person with the same name from Liverpool, graduated University of Liverpool at the correct time on Facebook.
I will try and message first and see if I have the correct person. If not, letter is on it's way to female person. A wee bit hesitant to phone or send an email to a business address.

Cheers
Lois

Bertieone

Post by Bertieone » 12 Jul 2019 18:33

Lois,

These days not everyone has a landline phone and therefore would not be in the BT phone directory.

I think trying the sibling first is your best course of action, could open up many avenues.
Bert

LThompson

Post by LThompson » 12 Jul 2019 19:47

HI Bert,

Re-checked the sibling's info. Graduated from "grammar" school at age 14. This seemed correct because in Canada, grammar school ends in grade 7 or 14 years of age as high school ends in grade 12 or 18 years old.
Is it the same in England? Our meanings of public school is quite different than your definition so hesitant to make presumptions.

True about the land line situation. We have two or more companies (depending on province) that provide land lines and only one puts out a telephone book.

Cheers
Lois

Bertieone

Post by Bertieone » 12 Jul 2019 20:11

Lois,

I'm not on Facebook and never have been so I don't know the procedure for contacting others on there, it seems to me, just get in touch and give him a brief introduction of yourself, who you descend from and what you wish to achieve. Perhaps mention you are hoping he's the son of the parents and Grandparents you have knowledge of.

Schools, I've lost track how schools work now, In my day you left at 15 or stayed on an extra year.

Just a thought, you could invite him to look at this thread.
Bert

LThompson

Post by LThompson » 12 Jul 2019 20:32

Good suggestion!
If grammar school ends at 15, the dates work.
I am not great with Facebook and would not normally have an account. I have no friends, family only. It is a good way to keep track of my kids and see what they are up to.
There is a private "messenger" tab on Facebook where I can send a private message.

I will let you know the result.

Cheers
Lois

MaryA
Site Admin

Post by MaryA » 13 Jul 2019 08:29

Be aware that if you aren't already a "friend" on Facebook, ie you have never previously made contact, a private message might not immediately be very obvious to the recipient, so also send a friend request to see if it will prompt them to look at their messages and see yours. I was successful in making contact with a cousin, but it took nearly a year before they checked their messages and found it.

Having said that, it's definitely worth going down that line and others - pen and paper if you have an address!
MaryA
Our Facebook Page

LThompson

Post by LThompson » 13 Jul 2019 18:33

Again, I appreciate your advise. I will request a friend request.

Cheers
Lois