Mofstays Cottage Cronton/Bold

For queries within the area of Lancashire between the Ribble and the Mersey.
This board covers the areas of all our Groups - Liverpool, Southport, Warrington, Skelmersdale, Leigh and Widnes.

Moderators: MaryA, VicMar1

egandy

Mofstays Cottage Cronton/Bold

Post by egandy » 11 Jan 2019 19:28

The above property is mentioned in the will of Nathan Abbott, innkeeper of Bold, written in 1727. Nathan is the oldest Abbott (my mother's family) I have found in my tree. I am trying to find a location for the cottage and anything about its history. On Google I found a row of cottages, now a "barn conversion" for sale called Mofstays Cottages at 6 Lyme Tree Court, Cronton, Widnes. Anybody know about this property or the surrounding area?
EGAN 4873

Bertieone

Re: Mofstays Cottage Cronton/Bold

Post by Bertieone » 12 Jan 2019 07:38

Egandy,

Is it definitely Mofstays and not a "Medial S" which would make it Mosstays Cottage.

Not that I've found it, but there's a Moss Brook in that area, perhaps the name is related to the Brook?
Bert

MaryA
Site Admin

Post by MaryA » 12 Jan 2019 09:08

Have you tried some of the maps we have listed, most are free to use in a small way online, problem I've found is the date, there is a lack of maps pre 1800. Try the Cassini maps to see if they might have one on sale. Also as Liverpool Record Office has a huge cabinet full of maps, I suspect perhaps Huyton library might cover the area of interest with some similar maps.

https://www.lswlfhs.org.uk/phpBB3/viewt ... 14&t=16208
MaryA
Our Facebook Page
Names - Lunt, Hall, Kent, Ayre, Forshaw, Parle, Lawrenson, Longford, Ennis, Bayley, Russell, Longworth, Baile
Any census info in this post is Crown Copyright, from National Archives

egandy

Post by egandy » 12 Jan 2019 09:41

Thanks for your respons Bertieone. The will from 1727 is not easy to decipher, possibly Mofsnays Cottage. Cheers. Egandy
EGAN 4873

egandy

Post by egandy » 12 Jan 2019 09:44

Thanks Mary A for the tips about maps and the link. I will check out the maps. The address today is 6 Lyme Tree Grove, Cronton. I guess thsi can be found on google maps. Cheers egandy
EGAN 4873

MaryA
Site Admin

Post by MaryA » 12 Jan 2019 14:02

egandy wrote:
12 Jan 2019 09:44
The address today is 6 Lyme Tree Grove, Cronton. I guess thsi can be found on google maps. Cheers
Yes but if you use say, the side by side map and identify the location you may see at least the middle of the 1800s.
MaryA
Our Facebook Page
Names - Lunt, Hall, Kent, Ayre, Forshaw, Parle, Lawrenson, Longford, Ennis, Bayley, Russell, Longworth, Baile
Any census info in this post is Crown Copyright, from National Archives

egandy

Post by egandy » 13 Jan 2019 11:01

Mary, thank you for all your help with the maps. The side by side function is very useful.
A rereading of the will from 1727 indicates that the cottage is more likely in Bold, not Cronton and the name possibly Mosswaye.
In Bold there is a farm called Abbottfield Farm which could indicate a connection. Parish records for the Abbotts are held at St Elphins and Farnworth, so the hunt continues.
Thanks also to Bertieone - I think you are right about the "S".
Cheers
Eric
EGAN 4873